Supersedence Part 2
In this lecture you will be creating a new 32-bit deployment type for the 7-zip application that we have already created.
- From Software Library, Applications, right click on the application 7-zip 19.00
- And click create Deployment Type. Here is where we create our 32-bit installer
- So, this is basically the same procedure as we did before, we browse to our x32-bit installation file. Then click open, put in your server name then click next.
- At the warning click Yes, then click next
- From the General Information menu. Change the name for the 32-bit software to 7-Zip 19.00 MSI_x86
- From Installation Behavior, change to Install for System, click next
- For Requirements, click Add, From Condition choose Operating System, click Windows 10 32-bit, then click ok, then click next, No dependencies, click next again, click next again then click close.
- So back at the console we have two different deployment types, we have the 64-bit and the 32-bit deployments.
- Double click the 32-bit deployment type
- From General, verify the information
- From Programs – Verify the command line commands and parameters.
- For Detection Method – Verify that the detection has the Product code.
- For User Experience – Change Max runtime to 15 minutes and Estimated install time – 2 minutes, then click apply, then click ok.
So, from the console, you can see we have created an application for the latest version of 7-zip which is 19.00. right click the version 19 of the application and click properties, click Supersedence, then click add, then click browse then choose the older version of 1604, then click ok.
- From Specify Supersedence Relationship you can see the old deployment type which is 1604. And you can choose if you want to replace that version with the new version 19.00. So, we can map both old versions 32 and 64-bit to the new deployment types.
- One option is to uninstall the old version then install the new version. You would use this option if you were doing a major application migration and possibly because the upgrade won’t remove the previous version.
We won’t have to do that with 7-zip, click ok, then click ok.
- Now we will deploy this application just like we did with 7-zip version 1604.
- From the console right click 7-ZIP 1900, then click deploy
- From collection, click Browse
- Then change user collection to device collection. then select Windows 10 Laptops, click Ok, then click next.
- From Content, click Add and click Distribution Point, then deploy to your distribution point in this case choose, SASCCM01.ServerAcademy.com click ok, then click next.
- Take Defaults for Action (Install) Purpose (Available)
- Click the box that says Automatically upgrade any superseded version of this application. This check box shows up if there is another application that will be superseded, click next
- Choose as soon as possible
- Click next 4x, then click close
From the console notice that you still see the old version and it is still deployed to Windows 10 Laptops.
Our goal is to not have the older version of the software show up in the users software center.
- We can check this out by Rt clicking on 7-Zip 19.00, then click properties, then click Supersedence, at the bottom we did not check the setting to allow users to see the previous versions that have been superseded. So that means that the old version should not show up in the software center.
- Now from the client computer, let’s open the Appenforce.log file using the CMTrace log file viewer. Here we see CM detecting the older version of the software 7-zip 1604
Sign up to access the rest of this lesson
You must either log in or sign up to access this lesson.