Deploying Power Management to a Collection
A Collection can be configured for power settings such as how long the computer must be inactive before the display is turned off.
Some things to remember about Power plans.
- You can only apply Configuration Manager Power Plans to Device Collections.
- If a computer is a member of multiple power plans, the least restrictive value is used.
- According to Microsoft, Configuration Manager power management is not supported on virtual machines. You cannot apply power plans to virtual machines, nor can you report power data from them.
I will supply a procedure for configuring Power Management, but unfortunately, we cannot test this in our Lab environment.
- First, we will create a device collection • Then we will create a Custom Client Setting
- Then deploy those settings to a collection.
- From the Work-Space, click Assets and Compliance. From the Navigation Pane, click Device Collections.
- Notice that under Device Collections, I have created three folders. One for desktops, laptops, and servers. These folders help keep my device collections organized.
- If you want to create folders, right-click on Device Collections select folder, then Create folder. I would recommend that you do the same for your organization.
- Creating a collection
- Right-click Power Management Laptops click create a Device Collection.
- From the Create Device Collection Wizard, Name type Power Management Laptops, from Limiting Collection, click Browse, click ALL Systems, click ok, then click next.
- From add rule, click a direct rule, click next
- From Resource Class, select System Resources, from Attribute Name, select Name. From value, type the % sign, click next.
- From Select Resources, click SAWS01-NEW, click next, click next again, then click close
- Click next 2x, then click close
- Specifying Power Management Settings
- From the Workspace, click Assets and Compliance
From the Navigation Pane, click device collections, then click Power Management Laptops.
From the Lists, View right-click on Power Management Laptops, then click properties, then select Power Management.
- Click Specify power management settings for this collection.
Here you can select Peak hours start and end, and the duration.
For Peak plan and Non-peak plan, you have several choices that you can explore. You can also configure a Customized Peak or Non-Peak plan with settings that should work based upon your organization’s needs.
- From the Peak plan, select Customized Peak, then click Edit. You can turn on or off any of these settings and configure the settings of your choice.
- For this lecture, we choose the Balanced setting for both and click ok.
- Creating and Configuring a Custom Client Device Setting
- From the Workspace, click Administration
From the Navigation Pane, right-click Client Settings,
Select Create Custom Client Device Settings,
For a name type Pwr. Mgmt Laptops
Then at the bottom, click Power Management, then click ok.
From the List View, right click Pwr. Mgmt Laptops, then click Properties
From the left side, click Power Management,
From allow power management of devices click Yes, click ok
- Deploying our settings to the Power Management Collection
- From the Ribbon, click deploy. From Select, Collection screen, click the Power Management Laptops folder.
- From the right side, click Power Management laptops collection, click ok.
- At the bottom, click deployments – The Power Management Laptops Collection is displayed.
Sign up to access the rest of this lesson
You must either log in or sign up to access this lesson.